Thursday, January 3, 2013

Questioning Mathematics

Math is pretty much the most set in stone thing I've ever seen, which is a big reason I studied it as an undergrad.  But as I studied it further, I came across the work of Cantor.  His work is very paradoxical.  So paradoxical it made me wonder if mathematics is correct.  Then I thought maybe even logic itself is flawed.  Then I thought, well heck, if logic is flawed, that leaves room for superstitions to be true.  So, if you're ever evangelizing a religion (like my religion of Christianity) and someone says there are too many contradictions in your holy book, you can question logic's validity as a response.  I like to point out the Banach-Tarski paradox myself.  Plus I like to reference Plato and say our senses are probably off, so we can't rely on them for truth.  Of course, the person can say in response that if I argue that, then I can't argue anything with certainty, even my religion, and well, I guess they got me there.  But I'd rather get people to question logic than to not question Christianity.  Simply opening the door is better than trying to force someone through it.  That's my evangelistic suggestion for anyone who wants to spread their religion to atheists.

No comments:

Post a Comment