Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Implicit Generosity

I'll do a little ethical philosophy here.

Suppose society is like a buffet of limited resources, where you can take as much or as little as you want, BUT if you take a lot, you are obligated to give a lot back in return.  Would you take a relatively small amount or a relatively large amount?  I'd take a relatively small amount just so I wouldn't have to give as much back.

Someone who takes a lot but gives a lot back is explicitly generous.  Someone who takes just a little bit from the start so others could have something is implicitly generous.  Someone who takes a little bit or a lot, and doesn't put a proportionate amount back is flat out greedy, but the more they take, the greedier they are.  I'd like to think I'm ever so slightly greedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment