Thursday, September 24, 2026

Pros and Cons Between Generations

I hear generations fight with each other about which had it easier.  And I think back and realize how I struggled finding a job after getting a college degree, and my dad didn't struggle with that quite as much. And I probably won't have as good of a retirement as he had either.  But ALSO he had a MUCH rougher childhood.  He didn't spend most of his time playing video games like I did.  Nor did he have anywhere near the level of toys I had.  He worked at his dad's gas station without pay.  And even when he had free time the entertainment he partook in wasn't near as sophisticated because video games weren't even invented back then.  My childhood was MUCH better than his even if his adulthood might have been a bit smoother economically than mine.  Also he studied engineering and I studied math, so that might have made a difference as well.

But of course, that's only the economic prosperity part of the equation.  Some people who have less still enjoy what they have more than those with a greater number of possessions.  And as much as I enjoyed my childhood, I actually enjoy my adulthood more.  It's not as economically prosperous, but life is about much more than how many toys you have to play with.  Sometimes it's about your mission, even if that mission is mostly unglamorous minor responsibilities that won't change the world or anything.  They're important to me and a few other people, and I think they're important to God as well.  God cares about small things, even if it doesn't always seem like he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment