The citytutoringmath YouTube channel, while perhaps not correct on everything, certainly does an excellent job repeatedly reminding us that true liberty is not the absence of constraint, and that a lack of self control leads to chaos rather than liberty. When we rid ourselves of all forms of discipline, we do not get a utopia and instead get quite the opposite. Sin must never be given a playground in which to run around unencumbered. Even though this should be obvious, it's frankly shocking how often we get an impression that so many people believe the opposite regarding self control.
But what I thought about recently is that while moral constraints are necessary for society to achieve and maintain prosperity, mathematical constraints can be just plain interesting and add spice to someone's mathematical life. Fermat's Last Theorem is trivial if you allow all reals and don't restrict the solutions to integers. But when it gets restricted it becomes MUCH more interesting. So interesting I can't even follow it. When Diophantine Equations start going into imaginary number rings, that non-decimal constraint they throw up can cause things to get wild in a hurry. I believe I mentioned this in a previous post about 26 being a special number in that it's the ONLY number exactly one after a perfect square and one before a perfect cube. You start going into imaginary numbers to solve a problem involving integers. Crazy, but true.
No comments:
Post a Comment