I found out about a guy named Charles Steinmetz asking AI a question once. I believe I asked who it was that first applied imaginary numbers to electrical engineering. Very interesting. It sounds like he's just one of the long list of many guys who profoundly influenced society in ways that most of us will never know. It's a byproduct of specialization and industrialization I guess. We can't all know the intimate details of every contribution in every field.
I've seen early group pictures of electrical engineers and Mr. Steinmetz stands out the most. Even more than Albert Einstein in those pictures in terms of appearance. It's because he had dwarfism. It's nice to know that he was still able to receive recognition for his contributions even in those early days where prejudices against a perceived norm were a lot more rampant. It seems he got in trouble more for his political beliefs than his physical stature. From the miniscule bit I've read about him, I probably would have disagreed with him on some of those beliefs too.
No comments:
Post a Comment