I don't like Thomas Paine because he insulted religion, but I do like him because he was genuine. Everything he said he meant. And that honesty was dangerous for him. He was almost executed, and ended up dying as an impoverished outcast. It's hard not to admire honesty, even if it's from someone you don't like.
In this world you're not expected to be geniuine. There are certain things you are supposed to hide. Transparency can bring about ruin. This is why politicians are the way they are.
I guess we can't ask the politicians to be transparent until we are first. We have to say what we mean. When someone goes up to you and says, "How was your day?" don't automatically say, "Fine," without thinking about it just to be polite. Sit there a while and evaluate your day. If it was great, say so. If it was mediocre, admit it, and if it was freakin' awful, don't be shy to let the person know.
Being polite is the first step in being dishonest. Be rude if you mean it. If you can logically defend your rudeness, and it's justifiable, then you are learning how to be honest.
Now which is better for society, honesty or rudeness? Don't know. But, since I'm a G-rated progressive, I'll pick the one that hasn't been used in a while since it's less stale. That means I pick rudeness.
No comments:
Post a Comment