Wednesday, August 12, 2026

I Usually Vote Republican, But Understand Why Many People Don't

As much as I dislike progressivism, I can't deny that there are some things moderate and even staunch Democrats stand for that have genuine merit.  Showing concern for the environment and making sensible efforts to control pollution is certainly not a bad idea.  Showing compassion for refugees attempting to escape from an oppressive government to start a new, honest life looks like the right thing to do as well.  Increasing the tax burden on those who have benefitted greatly from living here and can easily afford the increased burden is difficult to argue against too.  So I certainly understand why people often vote against Republican stances and don't blame them for doing so.  Particularly when economic conditions for the general population are not doing so well under the Republican watch and when a rude fellow with a questionable record and a lot of inherited money is put in charge of the land.

In fact, most of the time I vote, it isn't because I love the Republican stances at all.  I just can't stand the progressive stances.  The ones that look for fault in every darn thing and refuse to be satisfied.  They rarely give those that they are against a clean slate and a chance to start over.  In their eyes, America is forever a land of bigots and will always be racist, sexist, xenophobic, and whatever accusation you want to throw against it - because it was without a doubt a major part of the Atlantic slave trade hundreds of years ago - long before its birth and all the way until the mid 1800's.  

Now, SHOULD progressives hate America forever because of this glaringly awful part of its history?  Don't they have a point?  Maybe so.  But man, if you're going to hate a country, or anything else, that much - you know, FOREVER, no matter what it does in the future - then just don't even be a part of it.  Go to Europe (even though it doesn't have anywhere close to a clean slate as far as its history of human rights goes), or start your own country.  It makes no sense to hate something so much that it can't ever redeem itself, yet to still stay associated with it.  

So until the forever unsatisfied progressives exit the picture, it will be difficult for me to consider lending my support to anyone - even a moderate - who fails to strongly differentiate himself from such a negative and hopeless group that prides itself on unachievable yearnings.  Even if you give this progressive group everything it wants, that's still not good enough because it cannot erase the past.  And the best way to deal with anyone who can't be satisfied with anything you ever do going forward is to simply ignore them.  Why waste effort to appease those who can never be appeased?  

But American progressives do not have to stay in this forever-unsatisfied purgatory.  They can climb out if they so wish without sacrificing much, if any, of their push for improved human conditions.  I think they just need to realize that a big part of changing the future is to accept that the past cannot be changed and to go from there.

That said, do I blame people for picking permanent America-haters over convicted felon Trump?  Do I blame people for picking convicted felon Trump over permanent America-haters?  No.  I don't blame either one.  Why?  Because some decisions are tough.  I'm not even proud of my own decision.  But I think I'd be even less proud if I chose otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment