In that spirit, when I was a powerlifter in college, I legitimately feared competing in the very difficult open division. I was able to compete in the teen division, the junior division, and the collegiate division, and it was much easier to place in those specialized divisions than it was in the open division. But after college, the number of specialized divisions is slim pickings, and lifters are pretty much forced to compete in the open division. It isn't until age 40 that you can compete in a masters division for older lifters. So before I graduated, I joked to my college buddies saying I would avoid competing after college and wait until I'm 40 years old to compete again.
Now at age 44, I'm just too beat up to be anything near competitive. My digestive issues are the main thing, but my hip flexors bother me on squats too, and last time I tried heavy bicep curls my hand was numb for darn near a month. I simply can't push myself hard when training anymore without risking injury. Sure, I could still sign up and lift super low weights in a competition, but that's just no fun. I guess some guys can keep going strong at that age, but not me. My back injury in my 20's sealed the deal, and once that finally cleared up a few years later, all my muscle was gone, I had just started a family, and I simply didn't have enough incentive to return. Then when those digestive issues set in after I hit my late 30's, it was very clear that my competition days were over, never to return.
No comments:
Post a Comment