Monday, February 6, 2017

Accused of Being Scientifically Lazy?

I have a feeling my belief in the supernatural will one day get someone to accuse me of being scientifically lazy.  It's true that I'm not near as intelligent as many physicists, but for a person who does not have a job in the scientific field I've put a lot of hours into scientific study.  I actually have a STEM degree.  If I were more gifted intellectually I might actually have a career in one of the STEM fields, but alas I'm not that gifted intellectually.  God did not bless me with the intelligence that he blessed many physicists with.  Even if I put in the same exact amount of hours of effort they did they're just flat out more gifted and I still couldn't match their success.

I looked up the CEO of Yahoo and it's not like that person devoted her whole life to computer science.  She had hobbies too.  Part of the difference between her success and mine is due to intellectual effort, but much of it is not.  Most of it is most likely due to natural God-given ability. 

So the next time I'm accused of being a scientific idiot, I will make the claim that I actually have put in a lot of effort into my studies long, long after that effort wore out its economic usefulness.  I did it for the love.  And the reason I lack understanding should be clear.  It is because God chose not to give it to me.  Is it MY fault that my intellect is not above a certain level despite all of my study?  Is it MY fault I can barely understand special relativity after years of pondering and consulting texts while others zoom through general relativity in their first semester?   Call me inferior to Stephen Hawking.  That's fine.  And of course it's true.  But then explain WHY.  Explain why.  Try explaining how something not outside of manmade effort blessed that man's mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment